Saturday, January 16, 2010

Caring for Mother

Over a decade ago I realized that my Mother would not be able to live in the facility where she was located because of her failing health. Her other two children were far away and had responsibilities that kept them occupied. I was retired and so it was the sensible thing for me to see to her care. She was mobile enough at that time to live by herself if someone could be there for her every day. Her age and diabetes had rendered her nearly blind so that she could only walk a short distance to the mailbox etc.
I had observed many older family members in their last years needing extensive care and I did not envy those caregivers. I just did not feel that I would have the patience to care for an elderly person. We were able to find a nice ground floor apartment just a block from our home and got her settled in. All went well for about a year and then her heart lost its regular beating and she began to fail to the point where it was not possible to leave her alone. In the meantime a change in my feelings for Mom occurred. She became my sweet little charge and I looked forward to finding ways to brighten her day. To sit at her feet and have her recount her life as a child and a young woman was fascinating. With help from my sweet wife we began to care for her full time from daybreak to evening. Then she lost her ability to get out of bed and go to the restroom without assistance. I tried to sleep in her little apartment to be there for her but every little sound awoke me. In a few days I was exhausted. So we arranged for a nurse to come and sit through the night with her. Although the routine was often repetitive it was like a walk through the past. She brought into focus those years so long ago that I had almost forgotten. I began to see my life through the eyes of a caring and loving mother. A blessing of deep love came from God and her well being was a joy to me. As I recount those months I marvel at how I was able to find joy and happiness in what now seems like a lot of very hard work.
As was expected the 90plus year old body began to fail quickly and I knew that it was soon time for her to join my Father in a better place. One day we saw that conditions were beyond our ability to treat properly. We took her to the hospital for a few days and then to the nursing home where she passed away peacefully in just a few days.
Near the end she wanted to pass away and asked that we pray to that end. I agreed to give her a blessing . When I sealed the anointing I had a stupor of thought like never before. I could not grant the blessing she wanted so I blessed her with rest, peace, comfort, etc. I was shaken up because I felt as if I had failed to do what she had asked me to do. Now I know that the Lord was not ready for her to leave this mortal existence just yet. After she was settled in the nursing home one afternoon I got the strongest feeling that I needed to release her from her mortal mission. I called my son Chris and asked him to meet me at her bedside at a specific time. He anointed her and I sealed the anointing and told her that she had pleased the Lord with her valiant service and that it was now time to return to Him and those loved ones who were waiting for her in the Spirit world. Within a few hours she peacefully passed away.
I learned a very important doctrine. If you accept the opportunity to be a caregiver to someone in need your hours and days will be filled with joy and peace. Tasks that would seem unpleasant to some will be sweet opportunities to bring joy to you as well as those we serve. I realized why the Savior welcomed the time when the apostles and He would participate in the “washing of the feet”. For that brief moment each of them had the privilege to show the greatest of love for each other by performing a menial task that would bring comfort to the receiver and a humble, loving, service to the giver.
I feel that “enduring to the end” means serving all the days of the rest of your life. There is always a smile, a compliment, a message of hope, or some small aid that you can give that will enlarge your soul and bring joy to those who cross your path in life. Look every day for an opportunity and you will be surprised how many chances will become available to you.

No comments: